Recently the Iowa Department of Transportation released it's list of the 200 locations in Iowa most in need of safety improvement. The rankings were based on three factors: crash frequency, total number of accidents and severity during the years 2012 to 2016.
Of those 200, I live in the city that owns the #1 spot as well as two others in the top 10!! How'd I get so lucky?!
Where is this infamous demolition derby site, you may wonder: the corner of Ankeny Boulevard and First Street in Ankeny. And indeed, Tucker Law has represented clients injured in wrecks in that very place!
But if you think I'm unfortunately situated by being in the same town with the top three accident sites, my friend Kelly, who sometimes writes for this blog, and her husband live . . . wait for it . . . three blocks from the #1 site, one block from #10 and 14 blocks from #8!
Here's a list of the top 10 sites in Iowa:
- Ankeny: Ankeny Boulevard and First Street.
- Council Bluffs: Interstate Highway 29 and 30th Avenue.
- Sioux City: West Seventh Street and Hamilton Boulevard.
- Des Moines: Day Street and Sixth Avenue.
- Cedar Falls: Iowa Highway 27 and Viking Road.
- Jasper County: U.S. Highway 65 and Iowa Highways 330 and 117.
- Des Moines: East University Avenue and East 30th Street.
- Ankeny: Ankeny Boulevard and Southeast Magazine Road.
- Burlington: U.S. Highway 61 and West Avenue.
- Ankeny: Ankeny Boulevard and Third Street.
So be careful out there! But if you are injured in an accident, it's not a bad plan to check with a reputable personal injury attorney to make sure you get compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages and future treatment expenses.
Dangerous Iowa intersection? This spot is No. 1 in state's crash rating.